Based in Manchester, UK with occasional global travel
M&I Materials Ltd is a global manufacturing company, recognised for commercialising materials for demanding applications. We manufacture a portfolio of successful brands including METROSIL® and deliver technical excellence and high standards of customer service to leading-edge sectors around the globe.
This role supports our Metrosil SiC varistor business from both a customer (product specification) and manufacturing (product design and testing) perspective. We are looking for an engineer with experience in product specification, design, manufacturing and testing.
You will have good understanding of the materials requirements and design elements of electrical components, plus strong communication skills in conveying technical information to non-technical stakeholders. Some supervisory responsibilities may apply, and a strong head for metrics and a high productivity level are critical requirements.
- Provide daily technical support to customers through enquiry handling by phone and email, and on customer visits with the commercial team
- Design METROSIL varistors (electrical specification, bill of materials, manufacturing instructions, CAD drawings) for purposes of quotations against industry standards. Current emphasis is on simplifying the extensive in-house library of designs
- Provide guidance to the manufacturing team on creative solutions for unique customer challenges (e.g. modified assembly components)
- Be responsible for the testing and verification of METROSIL solutions via the use of appropriate test equipment
- Ensure the quality conformance of all METROSIL products to industry and internal standards
- Over time, convert paper-based legacy designs, specifications, BOMs and drawings to digital equivalents, towards ERP integration
- Occasional global travel may be required to support new Metrosil products at exhibitions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Degree in Materials Science and Engineering with work experience in the electrical field.
- Experience, Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- At least 8 years’ commercial experience required in the electrical industry, designing and testing protection systems, or in product management in a manufacturing environment
- Fluent in written and spoken English, proficient in Microsoft Office, plus CAD (or equivalent) ability required
- Experience in supervising at least small staff teams would be beneficial
- Able to exercise judgment, diligence, and attention to detail and demonstrate an aptitude for carrying out creative solutions to industrial challenges
- Ready to assume responsibility (specialist sign off) for sole delivery of high value specifications (up to ~£250k)
- Second / third language skills would be attractive.
The position includes a competitive salary and benefits package and scope for progression in an exciting sector. Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.