© 2020 All pages on this website are the copyright material of British Ceramic Confederation Ltd and permission should be sought for reproduction and / or use in other media.
Disclaimer of Liability
BCC Ltd endeavours to ensure that it provides its members with accurate, comprehensive and up-to-date information. The Confederation nonetheless makes no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy and / or completeness of the contents of its own website, nor in respect of any of those to which direct links are made. Please also view our privacy & legal page.
Who are we?
We are the British Ceramic Confederation Ltd (BCC Ltd), the trade association for the UK ceramic manufacturing industry. We represent the interests of all ceramic sub-sectors to a range of stakeholders, and also provide our member companies with a range of technical advice, representation, signposting and membership services for topics of interest to their organisation. Through this we help them comply with ever-evolving legislation, realise opportunities, sustain and grow their businesses.
Privacy Notice overview
In the course of its work the BCC Ltd collects and processes personal data belonging to our members, non-members and a range of other stakeholders connected to the industry, together with BCC Ltd’s current (and prospective) employees.
Data Protection laws – the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) – describe individuals who have provided personal data to an organisation (either directly or indirectly) as “data subjects”. As a data subject, individuals have a number of rights with respect to how we process their personal data. All data subjects whose personal data is collected and processed by BCC Ltd is done so in-line with the requirements of the GDPR.
This privacy notice is made available to data subjects prior to engaging formally in our services and all BCC Ltd employees are responsible for ensuring that this notice is drawn to the data subject’s attention where this takes place.
Why does BCC Ltd need to collect and store personal data?
In order for BCC Ltd to provide you with relevant services and communications we need to collect personal data for correspondence purposes and/or detailed service provision. In any event we are committed to ensuring that the information we collect and use is appropriate for this purpose, and does not constitute an invasion of your privacy.
What personal data do BCC Ltd hold and process?
The personal data we collect is provided to us voluntarily, or via publically-accessible sources. The types of personal data we typically collect / process include:
- First and last name
- Contact details (including e-mail address, telephone number, business address)
- Job title
- Passwords (for online BCC Ltd web-based accounts)
- Signatures (from meeting attendees)
- Other information that you may provide when interacting with BCC Ltd to allow us to work with you / assist with your enquiry
BCC Ltd does also support a number of charities within the ceramics industry. In order to review applications for financial assistance these charities need to process certain additional information (including more-sensitive ‘special category’ data), which may include financial information, medical / health records and trade union membership. Where this takes place consent will always be obtained and additional security measures be used. Further details on data protection will be provided to applicants, by these charities, at that time.
How will BCC Ltd use the personal data it collects about you?
BCC Ltd process (collect, store and use) information you provide in a manner compatible with GDPR, and all employees are subject to an internal BCC Ltd Data Protection Policy which requires them to:
- Fully understand their data protection obligations
- Check that data processing activities they undertake comply with this policy and are justified
- Not use data in any unlawful way
- Not store data incorrectly, be careless with it or otherwise cause us to breach data protection laws and our policies through your actions
- Comply with this policy at all times
- Raise any other concerns, notify any breaches or errors, and report anything suspicious to the BCC Ltd Data Protection Champion
BCC Ltd use personal data for the following purposes:
- To communicate with you about BCC Ltd services and other updates which are relevant to you, your specific interests and responsibilities
- To fulfil any contractual obligations which BCC Ltd has to you or your organisation
- To provide you with notifications of any updates or changes which are relevant to your relationship with BCC Ltd, the ceramics industry, or representations made on behalf of our members
In order to do so, BCC Ltd acts under a range of legal bases for processing of personal data, which are:
- Legitimate interests – where we believe it is in our legitimate interest that we collect your personal data and inform you about certain things we work on, to help you and your organisation (and so can reasonably expect communications from us)
- Contract – we are fulfilling our contractual obligations to you and your organisation, including as a member
- Legal obligation – where we have a legal requirement to process or hold personal data (excluding a contract)
- Consent – where you have provided us with a recent, clear, explicit, and defined consent, on an ‘opting-in’ basis, for your data to be processed for a specific purpose. Where we work with any special category personal data we will always tell you why and how the information will be used. You may withdraw consent at any time by contacting BCC Ltd or (where ‘unsubscribe’ links are provided) unsubscribing to any communications
We endeavour to keep your information accurate and up to date, and for no longer than is necessary. Our aim is not to be intrusive with our communications, and we undertake not to ask irrelevant or unnecessary questions. Moreover, the information you provide will be subject to rigorous measures and procedures to minimise the risk of unauthorised access or disclosure.
Who may have access to personal data?
Personal data will primarily be used internally by BCC Ltd employees, and (where appropriate) access to this information may also be restricted. Nevertheless, BCC Ltd may at times need to share some personal data with a number of our third-party processors who provide services to the organisation, including business system and website content & hosting providers (along with analytics / insights). Where this takes place, it will only be done with our authorisation for reasons necessary for the performance of relevant services.
BCC Ltd do not sell or otherwise disclose personal data, other than described in the privacy notice.
BCC Ltd will not transfer personal data outside of the European Economic Area (EEA); however there may be occasions when personal data is transferred to, processed or stored within the EU, in countries where data protection laws may differ. When this takes place the information will be protected as described in this privacy notice.
How long will your personal data be retained?
BCC Ltd will process and store personal data for no longer than is necessary for the intended purposes for which it is collected, and in-line with any legal obligations (which may govern its retention and / or deletion). What is necessary will depend on the circumstances of each case, as governed by our Data Retention Policy.
What are your individual rights?
At any time in which BCC Ltd are in possession of, or process your personal data you have a number of rights:
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of information we hold about you
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct any data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete
- Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing
- Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing
- Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you have the right to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling (please note that no automated profiling or decision making is carried out by BCC Ltd, or by appointed third parties)
- Right to judicial review – in the event that BCC Ltd refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason as to why. You have the right to complain
Please see below for our contact details. Requests will also be forwarded on to any third parties that may be involved in the processing of your personal data.
What if you do not want to provide personal data, or object to its processing?
If you do not provide personal data, or object to its processing, this may prevent us from being able to perform any contract or service to you, and could also affect compliance with legal obligations.
How can you contact us or make a complaint?
In the event that you wish to discuss your personal data use and rights then please do not hesitate to contact us (details are below).
Additionally, if you feel the need to make a complaint about how BCC Ltd process your personal data (or any appointed third parties) or how your complaint has been handled then you have the right to lodge a complaint directly with BCC Ltd’s Data Protection Champion and the supervisory authority (the Information Commissioner’s Office):
|BCC Ltd Data Protection Champion||Supervisory authority|
|Organisation:||British Ceramic Confederation Ltd||Information Commissioner’s Office|
|Address||Federation House||Wycliffe House|
|Station Road||Water Lane|
|ST4 2SA||SK9 5AF|
|Telephone:||01782 744631||0303 123 1113|
Disclaimer of liability
BCC Ltd endeavours to ensure that it provides its members with accurate, comprehensive and up-to-date information. The Confederation nonetheless makes no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy and / or completeness of the contents of its own website, nor in respect of any of those to which direct links are made.
Viruses, Spyware and other Malware
BCC Ltd uses anti-malware software with an enforced policy on its computers. Any content destined for this site is therefore automatically scanned for viruses, spyware and other malware before being uploaded, and BCC Ltd does not intentionally or knowingly upload any content that contains code or an exploit that could be deemed malicious or privacy-invading in nature. The risk of receiving a computer virus or other malicious program from our web site is very low; however BCC Ltd makes no guarantees that such code has not accidentally or unintentionally made its way to the site.